This method creates a magnet field that spreads out and becomes a flux leakage field. Technicians analyze the flux leakage field to find faults in the pipe wall. Magnetic particle testing is one of the quickest and most cost effective methods of NDT but it can only be used on metal pipes.
- Technicians prepare the surface by removing contaminants like oil, grease and dirt.
- A portable electromagnetic device is used to apply a magnetic force to the surface. Any flaws in the test area will result in a flux leakage field.
- Technicians then apply a layer of fluorescent and ferrous magnetic particles, which are drawn into the flux leakage field.
- Technicians look for places where the particles have clusteredâ€”these areas indicate a flaw in the surface of the pipe.
This method creates a radiographic image of the pipeline in order to detect and analyze flaws in the pipe. X-ray inspection is highly accurate and can be used on a variety of materials, including plastic.
- Our technicians place a section of pipe in an on-site container.
- They then expose the test section to radiation using an X-ray machine or other source of radiation.
- When the radiation hits the pipe, some of the particles stop, while others pass right through the pipe.
- Sensors measure how much radiation comes out of the container. The resulting measurement indicates the thickness and composition of the pipe.
- A radiographic image is produced and then studied by specialists to locate flaws in the pipe.
Ultrasonic testing measures losses to the pipeâ€™s walls, indicating the existence of pinholes, pits and damage. Ultrasonic testing is highly versatile and is often used for corrosion inspections.
- Technicians set up ultrasonic equipment: a probe, receiver, transducer and display device.
- The transducer transmits high frequency ultrasonic energy in waves through the pipe material.
- A crack in the pipe will disrupt the waveâ€™s continuity, and that disruption in energy will then be reflected back and displayed on the screen.
- Data is based on the signal strength and time of generation of the reflected energy waves.
- Technicians analyse this data to determine whether or not there are any inconsistencies in pipe thickness.
If you would like to learn more about the equipment used by an NDT company in Alberta and BC, please donâ€™t hesitate to contact us. Or call 1-866-930-6220 to schedule an X-ray inspection in Dawson Creek, High Level or Valleyview.